The American Dance Therapy Association was founded in 1966 as an organization to support the emerging profession of dance/movement therapy and is the only U.S. organization dedicated to the profession of dance/movement therapy.
- Advocates nationally and internationally for the development and expansion of dance/movement therapy training and services.
- Supports chapters and regional study groups throughout the United States.
- Stimulates communication among dance/movement therapists through social media, publication of the American Journal of Dance Therapy, and the ADTA newsletter. ADTA has members in 50 states and U.S. territories and 39 countries
- Holds an annual conference and sponsors webinars for continuing education, networking and the advancement of scholarship in DMT.
- The ADTA is an Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.